Department Services

Simon Leadership

Andrew Ainslie Dean
Ronald Goettler Sr. Associate Dean of Faculty & Research
Gregory Bauer  Associate Dean of Full-Time Programs
Amy Bruinooge Assistant Dean of Academic & Financial Operations
Carin Cole  Assistant Dean of Students
Karen Dowd  Assistant Dean of Career Management & Corporate Engagement
Rebekah Lewin Assistant Dean of Admissions & Financial Aid

Office of Student Engagement (OSE)

OSE is responsible for academic advising, student life, and experiential learning for all Simon students. Each student has an academic advisor that checks in with them each quarter to make sure they are making adequate progress towards degree completion. Students in the MBA program must have courses approved by their academic advisor prior to registering for classes. Advisors are available to help students pick courses, concentrations, create academic plans, and navigate their time here at Simon. Advisors can also help find a tutor for core classes. Tutors are typically 2nd year MBA students who have completed the coursework with an A- or higher. Students can login to the tutoring portal and reserve a time to meet with the tutor. Tutoring is free for all students. There are many social activities sponsored by Office of Student Engagement, Graduate Business Council (GBC), and Simon clubs throughout the year. The dates of all School events will be published and continuously updated on Google Calendar. Simon Business School students are active in student-run clubs, intramural sports, community and student-sponsored activities. Through their representatives on the Graduate Business Council (GBC), students work with faculty and administration in shaping the future of Simon programs. Students who wish to hold leadership positions in Simon clubs and organizations must be matriculated and in good academic standing with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Membership in clubs is not dependent upon GPA or matriculation. Experiential learning opportunities are also available for students including client projects through courses and clubs, case competitions, and international immersions. International Immersions are available to students who are interested in taking courses or traveling outside the U.S. as part of their academic experience. Some examples from previous years include Switzerland, Israel, Japan, and Latin America.

Graduate Business Council, Master’s Advisory Council, and Part-Time Advisory Council

Simon students automatically become members of the GBC through their payment of the quarterly activity fee. The GBC offers a variety of activities for all students, including picnics, parties, Rochester-area sporting events and a fall ball. Through its Executive Council, the GBC serves as a liaison between students, faculty, and administration. Students are encouraged to take part in GBC events. The activities provide avenues outside the classroom to meet fellow students, socialize, and develop relationships in a collegial atmosphere. Students are also encouraged to attend weekly GBC meetings or meet with GBC officers for input on School issues. In addition, there is also the Master’s Advisory Council (MAC) and Part-time Advisory Council (PTAC) that are comprised of MS and Part-time students, respectively. These students advocate on behalf of their student body and help the administration improve services and the overall student experience.

Career Management Center

The Career Management Center (CMC) offers a broad array of services to support the unique educational and professional/career development needs of Simon Business School community. To arrange a one-on-one appointment with your CMC Consultant, please contact Ann Renica at 585-275-4881 or set up an appointment yourself using the online scheduling feature in SimonWorks. Hours: Fall, Winter, and Spring Quarters Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Simon Technology Services

Simon Technology Services (STS), located on the 4th floor of Schlegel Hall, provides desktop computing, infrastructure, and audio-visual support for the entire Simon community. The Simon Technology Services Collaboration Lab, also on the 4th floor of Schlegel Hall, provides 10 walk up computers with Internet access and printing. We also have a scanning stations, and a Bloomberg terminal. For software assistance/installation, or other technical and/or audio-visual support, call 585-275-4407, or email, or visit the STS Help Desk in room 404A – just inside the Lab area.

Simon Admissions

The MBA/MS Admissions Office oversees recruiting, admission, decisions for the Full-time MBA program and the four Full-time MS programs: Accountancy, Business Analytics, Finance, and Marketing Analytics.  We also oversee the International Student Loan Program for Full-time MBA students and merit-based scholarship decisions for all Full-time programs.  The office selects 2nd year MBA students and MS students as Event Ambassadors, Admissions Committee Ambassadors, and Admissions Ambassadors who will support all stages of the recruiting, admissions, and enrollment process.   For more information or to refer a prospective student, please contact us at 1-585-275-3533 or

Disability Accommodations

Students seeking accommodations for a disability will need to fill out the online form and provide documentation to the Access Coordinator for Simon. Documentation requirements can be found here: Once the forms are submitted, the student is expected to meet with the Access Coordinator to better understand their need for accommodations an official letter will then be sent to faculty each quarter in the classes the student is enrolled in. The nature of the disability will not be disclosed to the faculty, only the accommodations. Student files for accommodations will be kept separate from their academic files.

University Health Services

The University Health Service (UHS) provides a full range of primary health care services, including preventive medical care, treatment for illnesses and injuries, management of ongoing medical problems, gynecological care, allergy injections and immunizations, and advice for any health concern. For the convenience of students, UHS has offices on the River Campus, in the Medical Center, and at the Eastman School of Music. Visits to UHS are by appointment. Students schedule appointments at UHS by calling 585-275-2662. The UHS clinical staff includes physicians who are specialists in internal medicine and family medicine, nurse practitioners, and registered nurses. Students are assigned a UHS physician or nurse practitioner as their primary health care provider (PCP) upon entering the university. Students are asked to schedule appointments with their PCP whenever possible.
All visits to UHS are confidential. UHS will not share information about the fact or nature of a student’s visit to UHS without the student’s permission. Notification of others, including parents, friends, faculty members, is considered the student’s responsibility unless the condition is serious and the student is unable to assume responsibility for informing others. For specific hours, check the UHS web site at Students will not be allowed to register for classes if they have not submitted a complete Health History Form to the University Health Service and received the required immunizations. New York State law requires college students to be immunized against measles, mumps, and rubella. The law applies to all full and part-time students born on or after January 1, 1957. Students will be withdrawn from classes if immunization requirements are not met.
Health Insurance: In addition to the mandatory health fee, all full-time students must have health insurance. Students can enroll in the University-sponsored health insurance offered through UHS, or they can remain on their own insurance or their parent’s or spouse’s insurance if their plan meets all of the University criteria for health insurance. The criteria are available on the UHS web site ( Click on “University Insurance Criteria” in the pink Quick Links box. Health insurance generally covers services such as hospitalization, surgical procedures, and diagnostic laboratory tests and x-rays; these services are not covered by the mandatory health fee. The specific benefits will depend on a student’s insurance plan.
If you have questions about health insurance, you can write to the UHS Insurance Advisors at for assistance.

University Counseling Center

The University Counseling Center (UCC) provides a comprehensive initial assessment and an individualized treatment plan to full-time members of the University of Rochester community who pay the mandatory health fee. Based on the initial assessment, a treatment plan is developed by the clinician that addresses the client's unique needs and concerns. Services include Individual/Couples Psychotherapy, Therapist Assisted On-Line Therapy (TAO), Group Therapy, Light Therapy, and Programs/Consultation. To learn more, please visit

Parking and Transportation

Parking for motor vehicles on the River Campus is by permit only. The fees vary from $5 ($3 after 4 p.m.) for daily permits to $28.00/month for lots at the perimeter of the River Campus. Free shuttle buses run between the vicinity of the River Campus, South Campus and the Medical Center. Graduate students who attend only evening classes (after 4pm) may obtain a permit for more central lots on the River Campus for a reduced fee. Permits for peripheral lots are valid in core parking areas of River Campus after 4:00 p.m. A permit is not required for University lots from 7:00 p.m. till 7:30 a.m. weekdays and on weekends. Parking office hours are Monday through Friday, 7:45 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Any questions should be directed to the River Campus Parking Office, Goler House, at 585-275-3983.


The River Campus Libraries provide access to thousands of online journals and hundreds of online databases; these subscription-based resources provide an efficient way to get authoritative information you can use with confidence in your work. (That is, there is more to research than Google, believe it or not!) Personal assistance in using these resources is a top priority: email or phone the Outreach Librarian for Business to ask for assistance, or use the Schedule an Appointment link on the Business Resources page: - to set up an appointment for yourself or your team. For the Do-It-Yourselfers among you, the Business Resources guide also provides access to all the subscription databases organized by topic or material type, such as: company information, industry information, market research reports, analysts’ reports, and corporate financial data. If you are looking for spaces to think or work, please make the walk up the quad to Rush Rhees Library. There are two study lounges specifically for graduate students on the 2nd floor, plus an array of other spaces throughout the building. You are sure to find something that works for you. Friendly staff at the Q&I desk are there to answer any questions. We are all delighted that you have chosen to pursue your business education at Simon, and are eager to help you make the most of your time here.


As a graduate student you have several housing options, including University graduate student housing, mixed student/employee housing or off-campus housing. The University Apartments Office can help students locate on-campus housing: University-Owned Housing. The Office for Off Campus Living (located in the Office for Residential Life and Housing Services) offers assistance with off campus housing, including helping students to locate suitable rental property in the Rochester area. The office has local maps, university shuttle and Rochester Transit bus schedules, and telephones for inquiring about properties. The City of Rochester has a wide range of rental housing types in many price ranges throughout Rochester neighborhoods.

ID Office

To verify that your ID is readable after hours, swipe it slowly through the card reader at any of the card access locations. If the green light comes on your card is working. The door will unlock and you will be able to enter the building. If your card does not work please contact A.J. Warner at 275-0328 or by email at ID cards for non-matriculated Simon Students will be encoded into the building card access system approximately one week after registration of courses. For more information visit:


The University of Rochester offers a first class dining program with campus restaurants varied in style, menu, atmosphere, and hours of operation to meet the needs of a diverse campus community. We cater to a wide variety of dietary needs and choices including Kosher, Halal, gluten-free, vegan, and vegetarian meals and rely heavily on student input and feedback to keep our menus current and our patrons satisfied. Through high quality food and customer service, we are proud to deliver a unique combination of diversity and value for your dining dollar. For general dining information, please visit: Web site: For information on University of Rochester meal plans, please visit

Goergen Athletic Center

The Department of Athletics and Recreation believes that your Rochester experience should include many opportunities for you to develop a healthy lifestyle, exercise, have fun, socialize, be a member of a team, and foster school spirit. We invite the student body to take part in our programming opportunities, to cheer on your varsity teams, or simply to find time to shoot some hoops, run on the treadmill, or swim a few laps in the pool. Whether you participate in intramural or recreational sports, the resources are available. For more information, visit
You must be a full-time matriculated University of Rochester undergraduate, graduate or R Club member with a valid UR ID to enter the Athletic Center; your valid UR ID Card is required to enter the athletic center; Leave your valuables in your room; Day-use lockers are available. Lockers are also available to rent for a nominal fee. Locker rentals are available at the Athletics and Recreation Information Desk; A guest of a UR student is welcome to visit the athletic center by purchasing a $3.00 guest pass. UR students must accompany your guest at all times; To reserve the indoor tennis, squash, or racquetball courts you will need to call Athletics and Recreation between the hours of 9:30 a.m. and 6:30 275-7643 and select Option 2 or by requesting an on- line reservation account by emailing

International Services Office

The International Services Office staff administers the F-1 Student Visa Program governed by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program governed by the U.S. Department of State. The ISO issues all UR-sponsored international student and scholar visa forms through SEVIS, the Student Exchange Visitor Information System. All questions concerning your immigration status must be directed to the ISO. The ISO staff interacts with U.S. government agencies, foreign consular locations, international organizations and various community groups in their efforts to advocate for and provide support services to prospective and ongoing students enrolled at the University. International students are required to enroll full-time each quarter, excluding the summer or another eligible vacation term. Any request for less than full-time enrollment must be approved by the ISO in advance and is only granted under specific conditions. Immigration regulations may allow for a reduced course load for certain academic reasons (only once), during the last quarter if full-time study is not necessary to complete requirements, or as needed for medical reasons documented by the University Health Service. To maintain legal status in the U.S., students must also adhere to strict work permission eligibility and authorization procedures. F-1 and J-1 students are able work at the University while they are enrolled. However, international students must NOT work off-campus without specific written authorization in advance! Unauthorized employment is viewed as a serious violation of immigration status and can be very difficult to overcome. The ISO provides various programs and services to assist students in understanding SEVIS reporting requirements and the U.S. immigration laws that govern their stay in this country. These services and programs include: ISO Student News – an electronic newsletter for all international students and interested staff. ISO-sponsored students are enrolled automatically and will receive new issues to their UR email every two weeks during the academic year; ISO Website – extensive information for current and prospective students, including ISO Forms, immigration details related to SEVIS reporting and employment options, support for U.S. tax requirements, travel information and links to U.S. and foreign Consulates, cultural adjustment techniques, and more; Individual appointments with ISO Student Advisors for immigration advising and cross- cultural counseling to assist students in effectively coping with personal adjustment; Work authorizations for all types of F-1 and J-1 employment, including off-campus summer internships and practical training opportunities. International Student Orientation Programs to help orient new students to the University and life in the U.S.; Walk-In Hours (daily, 2-4 pm) and Email advising ( for basic questions, procedural guidance, or to schedule an individual appointment; Workshops and other presentations on employment, tax, and travel issues, etc.; Campus partnerships to offer other services, such as free English conversation classes, an ISO Tax Consultant each spring (Feb – April), and other programs; Orientation and programming for F-2 and J-2 dependent spouses and children; Social and educational programs, many of which are co-sponsored with Rochester Global Connections (RGC), a local community organization focused on cultural exchange and support for international students in our area. The ISO staff provides services annually to over 3000 enrolled international students and those gaining practical training experience in the U.S. after graduation. Their office also supports over 450 international scholars (faculty, researchers, post-docs), as well as dependent family members from more than 115 countries. The ISO staff will be happy to assist you and answer any questions or concerns you may have during your studies at Simon Business School. Feel free to stop by the ISO during their walk-in hours or for better service, call ahead and schedule an appointment with an advisor.

Mail Services

The Campus Mail Center provides full domestic and international mail service thru USPS, UPS, Fed Ex and DHL. Students may send outbound mail and packages by visiting one of our customer service windows. Our professionally trained staff will guide you in finding the best rate and delivery times available using our automated comparison software. The Campus Mail Center sells postage, including rolls/book of stamps, cardboard/flat rate shipping boxes, as well as, common mailing services such as Insured, Certified, Priority, and Overnight. The Campus Mail Center accepts cash, URos and checks for payment on all services. In order to receive mail and packages on campus, a student must have his/her own campus mail box (CMC box). Simon students may open their own campus mail box to receive personal mail and packages. Students are able to receive post office mail as well as any incoming packages from all the major carriers such as UPS, FedEx and DHL. Mail and packages of any size cannot be sent to individual residence hall rooms. Mail is delivered to students Monday through Friday, except on University holidays. When students receive a package or piece of special service mail, an Email is sent to their attention notifying them to stop by the package pick up area to retrieve their item. Students will need to present their University ID to pick up packages. Mail and packages are not delivered to the University on Saturdays or Federal holidays, except for Express Overnight deliveries.


Branches of Chase Bank are located on the River Campus in the basement of Todd Union and at the Medical Center. Full service banking is provided. One ATM is available at each site.


Barnes & Noble at University of Rochester Required and recommended materials for Simon Business School courses are available at the Barnes & Noble bookstore at 1305 Mt. Hope Avenue. Textbooks may be available to purchase or rent as either printed books or digital content. Detailed course booklists, including options and prices, can be found through the “textbooks” link on the bookstore website:

University IT Computer Store

University owned and operated since 1987, University IT Computer Sales is the University of Rochester’s technology store. They offer educationally discounted computer hardware and software, as well as an extensive line of computer accessories, audio/video equipment, video gaming products, dorm supplies and more. University IT Computer Sales has two store locations, on the River Campus at Rush Rhees Library (next to the University IT Center), and in the Medical Center (Room G7220B). For additional information and pricing, visit their Web site at or call 585-275-8353.

Interfaith Chapel

The University does not have one religious affiliation, but many and has made a commitment to religious diversity dating back to the founding of the Interfaith Chapel in 1970. The chaplains’ offices, located in the chapel, offer students a variety of opportunities for religious worship, meditation, study, social service, personal counseling, and cultural and social events. Roman Catholic, Protestant, Jewish and Muslim clergy are available to work with all students. In addition, there are resource people available from the Buddhist, Jain, Hindu, Sikh, Universalist Unitarian and Latter Day Saints traditions among others. Many other faith group activities can be found on the U of R Website, | life/organizations.

Public Safety

The Department of Public Safety is comprised of approximately 150 full-time staff that provides uniformed patrol, investigative, crime prevention, victim assistance, and workplace violence services, and specialized programs tailored to specific campus needs. They respond to calls of any nature, including all campus emergencies -- fire, accidents, physical crimes and disturbances. Public Safety is a mixed force of sworn peace officers and public safety officers. Peace officers are able to make arrests due to the commission of a felony, misdemeanor, or other breach of peace based on probable cause, and can make mental health arrests - an authority that allows peace officers to intervene promptly in mental health emergencies. University peace officers carry batons and pepper foam as defensive weapons when dealing with potentially dangerous situations. They do not carry firearms. You can report an incident in person at any University Public Safety office. “Blue Light” emergency telephones, which are connected directly to the Public Safety Dispatcher, are located throughout the University. You may contact an on-duty supervisor 24 hours a day by calling 275-3333. University Public Safety will arrange for an escort to and from University locations. We will choose the most efficient way to provide you with an escort based on our activity levels at the time. We acknowledge emergencies and other high priority non-emergency calls for services first, so there may be some delay in our response to your request. Please be patient. Your own safety is not worth sacrificing for a few extra minutes. We don’t provide escorts to off-campus locations. To request an escort, call 275-3333 or pick up a Blue Light Emergency Phone.

Locker Rental

As an enrolled full-time student you have the opportunity to obtain a locker in the 1st floor of Gleason/Schlegel which you may use to store your personal items. Please monitor your Simon email for your locker signup invitation. Lockers are selected on a first come first serve basis. You will need to complete the online-registration form and choose a locker. Once assigned, that locker will be yours until Commencement in June unless you will not be on campus for a semester or more. If you will not be on campus for a semester or more, you will need to notify to relinquish your locker. If you fail to provide notification of your absence from the school, your items will be removed and donated to charity. We will not store your items for any reason. Further information will follow as you proceed through the registration process. If you experience any problems in the registration process, please email 

Simon Merchandise

You can purchase Simon merchandise at the IT office located on the 4th floor (suite 401) of Schlegel Hall. The office will be open Mon. - Fri. from 8:30am-5pm. You can place your order with, and she will arrange a time for you to view and pay for your purchases. Cash, credit/debit and check (excluding American Express for credit) are accepted. Here is the link to the online merchandise store:

Lost and Found

Lost and found is located in Schlegel 210. Inquiries can also be made by sending an email to AJ Warner. Students who have lost their property on campus should also check with the Wilson Commons Information Desk at 585-275-5911 and University Security at 585-275-3333.

Study Rooms

Study rooms, available for use by Simon students, are located on the first, third and fourth floors of Schlegel Hall and the first and third floors of Gleason Hall. Large study rooms are designed for team meetings or group project work. During high demand or peak periods, students are encouraged to share study rooms or relinquish a large room if needed for team use. There are also rooms in the Business & Government Information Library, located in Rush Rhees Library room 208 for individual and group study, case preparation, and student team meetings. Other areas available for studying on campus are the first floor of Rush Rhees Library, Gleason Library, the Arts & Arts History Library, Susan B. Anthony Hall cafeteria and the Computer Studies Library. Students may not “reserve” study rooms by leaving their belongings unattended in the room. Never leave personal belongings (especially laptops) unattended in study rooms. From time to time we experience thefts on our campus. While we try very hard to ensure a positive experience for all Simon students, we cannot prevent all instances of theft. Accordingly, we urge you to take care of your belongings to guard against loss. The School is unable to reimburse students for loss of stolen items. Renter’s or homeowner’s insurance are good options to provide this function. National Student Services, Inc. is another option for students to insure laptops and other electronics Please report any suspicious incidents to staff or campus security at 275-3333. There is a phone located on the 1st floor of Schlegel hall Student Commons, room 105.

Room Reservations

Students may reserve Schlegel and Gleason Hall classrooms and conference rooms for organization meetings when they are not otherwise in use by working with the Office of Student Engagement to submit a request. Room fees only apply to events not associated with the School. However, fees will be charged for events that require furniture moves and/or set ups (tables, chairs, etc.) and clean up. Should you need assistance with set-up issues please contact AJ Warner. When not in use, students may use unoccupied classrooms for quiet individual study.

Business Cards

On Demand Print Services can provide you with professional quality business cards. 250 cards now cost $24.95 plus tax. Orders for 500 are available from $29.95. Student business cards are very high quality, printed on the same paper and use the same color as University of Rochester faculty and staff cards. In order to begin the ordering process, you must first create an account: Due to identification requirements, student business cards must be approved by an administrator prior to print production. After the order is placed your card will go through an approval process before the project is printed. Payments can be made using your credit card. All part-time and full-time students of the University of Rochester’s Simon Business School are eligible to order cards using the standard Simon card template. Business cards take 4-6 business days to produce. Cards will be shipped right to the address you designate. We do offer 2-day service if the 4 -6 business days doesn't meet your needs. Additional shipping cost will apply based on your designated shipping preference upon checkout.

Building Hours

Exterior building entrances are open daily between the hours of 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. during normal academic quarters. Hours are reduced during break periods and holidays. After-hours access (9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.) is available to the Simon community with a University ID card only. For safety reasons, please do not prop open any exterior or interior doors. Unauthorized individuals are not permitted to enter the building with you when you use your ID card to enter the building. For Carol G. Simon Hall, exterior building entrances are open weekdays between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and locked during the weekend.